Now that the weather is nicer and warmer, holding weddings outdoors is becoming increasingly more popular this time of year. Who wouldn’t want to enjoy the great outdoors when the sun is shining and the weather is beautiful? Moving weddings outdoors brings a completely new and unique feeling to the event; something that cannot be achieved indoors. However, catering and planning weddings outdoors as opposed to indoors brings its own set of problems and new obstacles that must be taken into account. But fear not – while there are many new obstacles that come up from bringing things outside, there are equally as many solutions. Here are some of the solutions that we feel are important not to overlook when planning your outdoor wedding.
- Weatherproof As Much As Possible – Weather can be unpredictable, but do your best to prepare for the what is most likely going to happen. If its going to be really hot, try to bring in some industrial fans to provide a breeze (be mindful of how much noise this makes!). If it could possibly be windy or rainy, consider bringing in a tent for shelter, and even some wall panels of some sort to help act as a barrier to the elements. You can also provide flooring in case the ground is wet or uneven. If none of this is necessary, be sure to have some of these scenarios prepared for in case the worst happens.
- Prepare for Bugs – When you’re outdoors and it is hot, chances are you will be encountering pesky bugs. Among the worst and most annoying are mosquitoes. Be sure to prepare yourself for a mosquito attack! Keep citronella candles lit around the ceremony, or even consider providing your guests with bug spray to use at their convenience. This can be a very troublesome problem that can make a potentially great night turn into a horror story. Be sure to prepare for this one!
- Create a Cozy Atmosphere – Even though you will be outside, does not mean you cannot be comfortable! Bring the comfort and hospitality of the indoors to your outdoor event to create a very cozy atmosphere. Try bringing in plush cushions and lounge areas for your guests, and provide pillows for everyone to sit down on. Also be sure to decorate thoroughly, bringing in drapes, curtains, flowers, and more to add to the ambience and overall feel of the venue.
- Don’t Forget the Bathrooms – While staying away from the indoors may sound like a great idea this season, don’t forget that you will need to provide some bathroom accommodations for your guests as well. This is an easy one to overlook, but an obvious accommodation that cannot be overlooked. Try to find a place where bathrooms are easily accessible. Or, if this is not possible, you can always consider renting them. You do not have to rent cheap portable bathrooms either – there are luxurious portable bathrooms that are available as well, complete with music, temperature control, and other amenities. Be sure to have at least 1 bathroom per every 35 guests, to be sure the line for the bathroom never gets too long.
- Choose Appropriate Music – Music is a very important part of any ceremony. Try letting the outdoor setting and theme dictate what the best and most appropriate music will be. If you are by the beach, try playing music with a tropical, beachy vibe. If you are in a more woodsy area, consider something more folky and acoustic. You should also keep in mind the electrical demands for a sound system as well. If you do not have a reliable power source nearby, think about bringing a back up generator just in case.
- Provide Free Sandals – If you will be outdoors on the grass, especially during a hot day, it may be a good idea to provide some cheap sandals or flip flops for your guests. This way they can kick off their shoes and stay cool and relaxed during the outdoor ceremony. These will also encourage people to dance more and be more active on the dance floor! This is another small detail that can really change the dynamic of your outdoor wedding.
- Keep Hydrated – If your ceremony involves sitting in the sun for an extended period of time, you most definitely want to play it safe and provide plenty of water for your guests. Heat exhaustion and dehydration can be serious and it is smart not to take any chances with it. Keep beverage dispensers located throughout the venue so everybody has easy and quick access to water. You can also keep buckets filled with ice and water bottles scattered around the venue, so your guests will always have a cool drink nearby.
- Wedding Program Fans – Here’s another great way to beat the heat! Oftentimes when its hot, wedding programs will often be folded up and used as a fan in order to cool keep during the ceremony. Do your guests a favor and mount your wedding program onto a handle to create a wedding program fan! This is a cute and fun way to display and distribute your wedding programs, while having it also serve a double function. This is also an additional way to ensure your guests beat the heat and avoid heat exhaustion.
- Provide Sunscreen – Sitting out in the sun for long periods of time can also do a number on your skin, so its important to protect from the suns harmful rays as well. Sunscreen isn’t the first thing on everyone’s minds when it comes to wedding ceremonies, so it may be a good idea to provide some sunscreen for your guests in case they forget. This can save them a lot of hassle and pain after the fact!
- Mist the Flowers – If you are decorating with flowers, remember that flowers are living too, and also need extra care to prevent heat exhaustion. If left without any care in the sun, it is possible the flowers will start dying and wilting in the middle of the ceremony, making what was once a brilliant, lively display into one that looks droopy and sad. Make sure someone is regularly misting the flowers and keeping an eye on them, so they stay looking fresh throughout the ceremony.
If you are planning an outdoor wedding this year, make sure you do not forget these important details. While these details are small, they can make a big difference when done right. Also, oftentimes its the small details that make a wedding stand out from the rest. If you need any catering equipment or wedding supplies of any kind to help make your idea a reality, look no further than Caterer’s Warehouse for the best selection and best deals in the industry.